Tuesday, April 27, 2010

The HREvolution: An Interview with Trisha McFarlane- Part II


Yesterday I published most of my interview with Trish McFarlane, who writes the blog HR Ringleader. We talked about HREvolution, a two day "unconference" being held in Chicago. Here is the remainder of that interview. I will close it with my own comments.

MH: Are there any official Tweeters and bloggers that people should pay attention to?

TM: As far as official Tweeters, Benjamin McCall created a great list of participants on Twitter (http://bit.ly/c4KFiI)  People can also just search #HRevolution on Twitter and follow the stream live. I will give special shouts out to Eric Winegardner (@ewmonster) and Laurie Ruettimann (@LRuettimann or @punkrockhr) because they tend to tell it like it is at events and I’m sure if you want the “real” scoop, that is where you’ll find it.

As for bloggers, we have some of the best in the HR and recruiting community in attendance. Keep your eyes peeled for a special edition of Shauna Moerke’s “HR Carnival” that will capture most of the posts that come out after the event.

MH: Is there anything else you would like readers to know about HRE?
TM: I just want to thank everyone for their support. From a simple tweet I posted last June to a 50 person HRevolution1 last November, to an event almost three times that size this May, the interest has been amazing. And, what I love is that it is the participants that pull together to make it happen. So, thank you to all the early adopters, than you to all who are coming that are new, and we look forward to next year when even more of our peers will be there.

MH: Thanks Trisha for the great information and we look forward to the results of the "unconference being posted in blogs galore and the HR Carnival.
 
My comments:
I am very encouraged about the future of the profession as a result of things like HREvolution. This combined HR Revolution and Evolution is a  "from the ground-up" movement. It says to me that tomorrow's leaders are tired of the status quo and the trite answers that much of my generation of HR folks have lived with. These are people educated in HR from the get-go and they are going to drag the profession into the 21st Century. I LOVE IT!
 
If this excites you as much as it does me then stay tuned. Although I cannot make it to this one (the next one I promise) I will be pointing out to all my readers where they can go to get more info on the proceedings.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How do the non-blogger/twitter folks get to be included? Sounds like it would be worth attending at some point.

Ben Eubanks said...

It's already worth attending. :-)

Seriously, though, we have people attending (and had people last year) who never used Twitter before. They learned on the fly how the rest of us use the social tools to be better HR/recruiting pros.

All you have to do is buy a ticket (already sold out this time around) and be prepared to ask questions and bring some opinions to the table.

It's not a sit-back-and-let-people-preach-at-you type of thing. This event is no more than what everyone puts into it, so it's definitely a different experience for most people.

Let me know if that answers your question!

Ben Eubanks
HRevolution cofounder