The law firm, SeyfarthShaw, in one of their alerts listed the things that employers must do to be able to work within the confines of the law. Their advice includes:
- Conducting self audits, adjusting policies and conducting training.
- omitting genetic information from post-offer, pre-employment health history examinations and/or questionnaires;
- updating policies to prohibit discrimination based on genetic information;
- adding claims of “genetic discrimination” to waivers and releases where appropriate;
- and segregating lawfully-acquired genetic information from personnel files.
On a different note, as a holiday bonus the Carnival of HR, hosted by Mike VanDervort at The Human Race Horses blog is asking all contributors to designate a charity to which they would like readers to donate at this time of year. There are so many that would could be on my list to ask you to make a donation to, but I have a personal connection that compels me to designate the National Multiple Sclerosis Society. Clicking on the MS Society link will take you to the donation page.