If you check even further into the bill you find it is filled with a TON OF CRAP! According to Washington Correspondent Jamie Dupree, in his blog Jobless Benefits Fail, the jobless benefits section of the bill is just one bullet point. Here is a sample of what else has been included:
- $35.5 billion to continue unemployment benefits for the long-term jobless through November. In a majority of states, the unemployed could have received benefits for up to 99 weeks.
- $16 billion for states to help cover Medicaid costs and avoid layoffs of public employees.
- $6.5 billion to provide a six-month reprieve from a scheduled 21 percent cut in Medicare payments to doctors.
- $4.6 billion to settle long-running class-action lawsuits brought by black farmers and American Indians. One lawsuit concerned the government's management and accounting of more than 300,000 trust accounts of American Indians. The other is a discrimination lawsuit brought by black farmers against the Agriculture Department.
- $4 billion to expand the Build America Bonds program, which subsidizes interest costs paid by local governments when they borrow for construction projects.
- $1.5 billion in relief for farmers who suffered crop damage from natural disasters in 2009.
- $1 billion for summer jobs programs, for workers ages 16 to 21.
To see what else is tossed in to this bill you need read Jamie's blog. I think it is time we tell politicians to focus and quit playing games. Our lives, our livelihoods, our homes and our future depend on it.
Is my frustration showing?