Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Tips for Remote Teams

I happen to be working from home today and as I was reviewing some older email and scanning for newsletter ideas I came across a BNET set of articles on Managing Remote Teams. The first of these tip articles was directed to the managers and was entitled "How to Manage Employees in Remote Locations". (Click the title to read the article.) One of the things that struck me in the article was related to something I wrote about a few blogs ago and that is PASSION. You, as the manager, have to have a passion for the work and you also have to select workers who are suited to the task and have that passion as well.

The second article, "Ten Tools for Remote Teams" talks about all the various connection and productivity mechanisms you can use to make teams more effective. Many of these I was familiar with, however, I was not familiar with the wiki or ftp site. Interesting information. Does anyone have an experience with this tool? If so leave a comment and let me know.

Remote working, telecommuting, working offsite or however you may refer to it is a hot topic for HR today. Here in Atlanta, Georgia, where we have horrendous traffic we are encouraged by the Governor to institute as much telecommuting as possible. Being aware of these tips and tools will help you and managers be more effective in setting up and running remote work and managing remote workers.

Comment your success or lack of success in this arena so others can learn.

No comments: