The USDOL has also broadcast a program called WE CAN HELP. See my April 6, 2010 post entitled US Department of Labor: It's War! And Employers Are The Enemy .
So what can you do as an employer? Well I would suggest the following:
- Have accurate records of all employees rates of pay.
- Make sure all employees are accurately classified.
- Make sure your independent contractors are indeed independent.
- Have clear policies on overtime and make sure employees and supervisors know them and follow them.
- Have clear policies on work performed outside of "normal" work hours. Often called "donning" and "doffing" rules they deal with the prepartory work necessary to do work.
- Make sure people taking meal breaks do so for at least a half hour and that they are full relieved of ALL duties.
So if you are dealing with alot of hourly workers be very, very aware.