- Apple's new thin notebook computer, same computer, just thinner
- Google as the search engine of choice instead to the old powerhouse Altavista
- MS Word instead of Wordstar
In his book Human Resources Champions , Dave Ulrich talks about the skills that effective and progressive HR professionals need to have. But one of the key points he makes is that to be considered a "partner" you must do the basics of the job well. You must be an administrative expert. His steps for being an administrative expert include:
- Reengineer HR work through use fo technology, process engineering teams, and quality improvements.
- Define the HR role in creating value for the firm.
- Creat a shared services HR delivery mechanism.
- Measure HR results in terms of efficiency (cost) and effectiveness (quality).
Administration has been what HR/Personnel has been about from its inception. Many, many companies do it poorly. So how about being an "innovative" HR department by taking Ulrich's and Maltoni's advice and do something old ... better.